Thursday, March 15, 2007

i had my gd/pi today at mdi gurgaon..my lone call,i liked the campus!!
heres my profile:
10th 82.6%
12th 84%
BE (E&C) 8.22/10
cat 99.06 (di 98.3,qa 99.2,va 83.3)
gd :two graphs:savings as %age of gdp and domestic investment as %age of gdp for china,japan,us,germany,and asia excluding china and japan..
one problem v had in the gd was that 3 countries graphs looked the same colour and the other 2 looked the same..one guy even pointed this to the panel n he got sort of rebuked by the panel..so make do with wat u get is my suggestion..v had a decent discussion,very nice,no fish market,everybody spoke..i initiated it(though i felt i could have done better at the intro) and made another 5 entries or so..everyone got good airtime.
pi:
v were called in at random,n i was called in last.bohat bore hua baithe baithe....
old prof(O),young prof(Y),me(me)
i enter n wish bothY:take a seat.
Y:so u tried to lead the gd.
me:yes
Y:but u couldnt,y do u think that happened..and also u kept harping about china?
me:sir china was the highest on both savings and investments.so i felt it was necessary to discuss china the most.also on the leading part,i was just trying to structure it,but i think maybe i wasnt doing that properly,so maybe thats y u felt that way.
O:so what r ur hobbies?
me:sir reading and traveling
O:wat do u read?
me:my favourite authors are george orwell,ayn rand,joseph heller.
O:ayn rand eh?what did she stand for?what was her philosophy
me:she stood for objectivism and individualism.she said that human spirit is more important than anything..if u let a man be creative,he will be his productive then..collectivism fails.
O:which books of hers have u read?
me:fountainhead,atlas shrugged,we the living,anthem.
O:name main characters from atlas shrugged.
me:john galt,dagny taggart,hank rearden.
O:who is john galt.
me:told...
O:why did dagny love rearden steel?
me:told..
O:wat else?
me:sir actually i read it 5 yrs back..so dont remember finer details..
O:i read it 30 yrs ago..(all of us laugh..dunno wat was so funny)
Y:so ur other hobby,traveling?
me:yes
Y:where have u travelled..
me:extensively travelled coastal karnataka..made several road trips on bike..
Y:k fine.so ur from enc?what is the major discovery that happened in this field two months ago,that made ppl sit up n take notice?
me:dunno sir.r u talking bout vodafone deal ?
Y:no no business,scientific discovery.
me:dont knw.
O:so u dropped a year?u went to kota?
me:no sir i prepared on my own.
O:have u ever taken coaching?
me:yes sir,on my first attempt at iit and this time for cat.
O:so u think its useful?
me:i think it disciplines u.yes in that sense it is useful.also u dont give competition an edge.
Y:have u heard bout walmart coming to india?
me:yes sir. (me totally happy!!ready for this question!ratt ke aaya tha)
Y:then tell me what is dell coming to india for? (abe ye question kahan se aa gaya?walmart poocho sirji)
me:i dont knw sir.i dint knw dell was coming to india for alliances..
Y:k tell me about wallmart.
me:told
Y:major european retail chain?
me:umm..dont knw any (i think harrod's could be an answer to this?)
Y:indian retail chains ?
me:reliance
Y(interrupts)other than that of course.
me:tata's westside,big bazaar,subhiksha..
O:what is big bazaar's new name?
me:dont knw
O: k tell us bout the indian hardware(electronics) industry.
me:spoke a lot bout that.
Y:tell me where is el dorado?
me:(i had mentioned winning an event called road to el dorado) told
Y:what is bermuda triangle,what is the problem there,n the reason?
me:told.
O:so u have won business quiz?when was tata steel formed?
me:sometime in the 1800's not sure..
O:when was the indian textile industry formed?
me: early 1900's in bombay and calcutta.. (wrong answer obviously,was much earlier and in surat i think)
Y:jute or cotton
me:jute in calcutta and cotton in bombay
O: ok thats it..thanks for coming.
me:thank u (shake hands with both n leave)

all in all a very weird interview...

No comments: